Assessment is the first step in addiction recovery. For many, the idea of substance abuse assessments can be overwhelming. In reality, many simple assessment tools for addiction are designed to help people quickly get the support they need. Any addiction treatment program begins with an assessment to determine what a client needs.
If you or someone in your life is ready for a substance abuse assessment, A Better State can help. Our flexible outpatient programs provide comprehensive addiction assessment and dual diagnosis treatment for mental health and substance abuse. Call us now at 781.412.1488 to learn more about our addiction treatment programs and begin evaluation today.
What Is an Addiction Assessment?
An assessment is like a test. Many assessments involve simple “yes” or “no” questions to determine whether someone is at risk for addiction. Assessments can also help diagnose co-occurring disorders like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety. Also called evaluations, assessments often follow several steps to help determine the best treatment plan for a client’s needs:
- Simple questions about drug use, health history, home safety, and mental health
- Physical exam to determine overall health and medical needs during treatment
- Discussion of treatment options
When finished with an assessment, a clinician will make treatment recommendations. This might include residential detox, medication management, trauma therapy, outpatient treatment, and cognitive-behavioral therapy. Clients can find the process overwhelming, so assessments must get a snapshot of a client’s substance abuse history and immediate treatment needs.
Getting to Know Common Assessment Tools for Addiction
Substance abuse assessment can be less overwhelming when people know what to expect. Today, common assessment tools used in clinics across the United States and here in New Hampshire include:
- The “Tobacco, Alcohol, Prescription medications, and other Substance use (TAPS)” tool – A diagnostic screening helps clients enter treatment quickly for any substances
- Addiction Neuroclinical Assessment – An addiction assessment tool that studies genetics and brain scans to evaluate whether someone is at risk for addiction
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Drug Use Screening Tool – An early screening tool to identify substance abuse risks before addiction develops
- Drug Abuse Screen Test (DAST-10) – A 10-question survey designed for adults to complete in less than five minutes
- CRAFFT 2.0 – A six-minute assessment designed to diagnose adolescents ages 12-18
These are all standard tools in clinics to help clients and their loved ones get the answers they need to begin treatment right away. They are all designed to relieve anxiety with straightforward questions that can help clinicians quickly understand clients’ needs.
Learn More About Substance Abuse Assessments in New Hampshire
Assessments are one of the most valuable tools for early recovery. They can make the difference between successful treatment and discouraged clients. Get an evaluation today if you or someone you love is struggling with substance use. By uncovering the root cause of addiction through assessments and evaluations, our team can help you heal from substance use, unprocessed trauma, and mental health disorders. Our programs include the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Yoga therapy
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) treatment
- Depression treatment
- Anxiety treatment
- 12-step programs
- Art therapy
- Meditation therapy
- Trauma therapy
- Mindfulness therapy
With a range of evidence-based and alternative individual, group, and family therapies, we have a treatment plan to help you thrive. Our partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) and intensive outpatient programs (IOP) have daytime and evening treatment options to help you recover without compromising your schedule.
Get Started with Our Addiction Treatment Program Today at A Better State
If you’re looking for substance abuse assessments in New Hampshire, A Better State can help. Our licensed clinicians are here to provide a safe space to explore your recovery journey. With a range of evidence-based and holistic therapies, including modern addiction assessment tools, we have the resources to help clients recognize their potential and start living better. Don’t let substance use take over your life. Getting a substance abuse assessment is easier than you think. Contact us at 781.412.1488 to speak to our team and begin the addiction assessment today.