Staying sober can be a daily challenge. For many people, stress, everyday life, world events, financial stress, and social pressures can make it difficult to avoid relapse. Unfortunately, many common social activities provide access to alcohol and other substances, making it hard to prevent relapse. Planning, schedules, and sober activities can be a great way to fill time without drugs or alcohol and resist addiction triggers or cravings.
If you or someone in your life is struggling to stay sober, our team can help. A Better State provides the New Hampshire area with comprehensive outpatient addiction treatment programs and mental healthcare. Call us now at 781.412.1488 to learn more about our dual diagnosis clinic and find the right programs for you today.
Why Are Sober Activities Important?
Whether you or someone you love struggles with substance abuse or mental health, sober activities are essential to daily life. Cultivating sober activities can help build new skills, reduce stress, connect with others, and help people pursue their passions. It’s important to develop routines and activities that help keep life in perspective and promote long-term physical and mental wellness. Many types of sober activities can help keep you and your loved ones connected, engaged, and sober.
5 Fun Sober Activities to Try Today
Sober activities alone or with someone you love can keep relapse at bay. Here are five fun sober activities to try today.
- Yoga and meditation – Mindfulness activities like yoga, meditation, ti chi, and qigong are great ways to engage your mind, relax, and connect with others. Daily and weekly mindfulness practices can reduce stress and help improve connection and communication with others.
- Take a hike – Hiking, walking, and running outdoors can be a way to release endorphins, destress, and enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Rock climbing – Bouldering and rock climbing engage the brain and the body. Learning to rock climb is easier than you think. It can provide physical and mental challenges that reduce addiction triggers and build fitness.
- Take a class – Learning a new hobby in a class setting can be a great way to meet people and pick up new skills. Whether you’re interested in pottery, cooking, or learning a new language, classes can be a great way to stay sober and develop new passions.
- Visit a museum – Museums can be a great way to learn about history, art, nature, and culture. Whether you visit a local museum or a larger museum out of town, it can be a fun, educational way to spend an afternoon.
These are only a few ways to get out of the house and promote sobriety. It’s often easier to stay sober with the support of friends or family, so organize a group outing or class next time you’re looking for a fun sober activity. If you’re looking for sober group activities, an addiction treatment program can connect you with others working to stay sober through community engagement.
Discover Other Types of Sober Activities at A Better State
Staying sober is easier with community support. If you or someone you love is ready to stay sober, A Better State can help. Based in Hudson, New Hampshire, our clinic provides sober community and treatment for clients across the New Hampshire area. With a holistic, trauma-informed approach to addiction and mental health, our clients enjoy outpatient services that meet their busy lives. We have the program for you whether you’re looking for addiction or co-occurring treatment.
With daytime and evening intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) or partial hospitalization programs (PHPs), we provide flexible, comprehensive care to keep you and your loved ones sober and to thrive. Don’t try to stay sober alone. Contact A Better State now at 781.412.1488 to get started today.