A Better State’s 12-step program is based on the original 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). The 12 steps provide a framework for addiction treatment and have been shown to be effective in helping people recover from addiction. At A Better State, we offer 12-step meetings as part of our comprehensive approach to addiction treatment. As our clients work towards sustainable recovery, the 12 steps can help them build a strong, sustainable foundation.
Ready to learn more about how the 12 steps can be part of your journey to recovery? Contact A Better State today at 781.412.1488.
What Are the 12 Steps?
The 12 steps of A Better State are based on the original 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). The 12 steps provide a framework for addiction treatment and have been shown to be effective in helping people recover from addiction.
The 12 steps include:
- Admit that you have a problem with addiction
- Come to terms with the fact that you cannot control your addiction on your own
- Turn your life over to a higher power, whatever that means to you
- Make a commitment to change your behavior and live in accordance with the 12 steps
- Take an inventory of your relationships and make amends to those who have been hurt by your addiction
- Continue to take an inventory of your thoughts and behavior and make changes where necessary
- Ask God, or whatever higher power you believe in, for help in overcoming your addiction
- Make a list of all the people you have harmed as a result of your addiction and make amends to them
- Continue to work on your recovery every day for the rest of your life
- Help others who are struggling with addiction
- Celebrate your sobriety and the progress you have made in recovery
- Share your experience, strength, and hope with others who are still struggling
12-step meetings can look like group therapy at first. You’ll meet with others in recovery as often as every day, especially during the crucial early days of recovery. This will help you begin to develop the healthy coping skills needed to maintain sobriety long-term.
The Benefits of 12-Step Meetings
The benefits of attending 12-step meetings include:
- Meeting other people who are also recovering from addiction
- Getting support from others in recovery
- Gaining insight into your addiction and how to stay sober
- Learning about the 12 steps and how to apply them to your life
During their time in our 12-step program, clients can expect to share their experiences, strength, and hope with others in the group. Building a network of support by opening up is an invaluable part of the recovery process. Clients hear inspiring stories from others in the group that can offer perspective on the struggles they’re facing. The 12 steps can provide a lasting foundation for sobriety, as many of those in recovery use the lessons they learn while going through the 12 steps for the rest of their lives.
The 12 steps are an important part of addiction treatment, but they are just one piece of the puzzle. Clients in 12-step meetings will also participate in individual and group therapy, as well as other activities designed to help them recover from addiction.
Why Choose A Better State?
A Better State is an outpatient addiction treatment center in Hudson, New Hampshire. We offer a 12-step program as well as individual and group therapy, family therapy, and other evidence-based treatments. Our goal is to help our clients achieve long-term sobriety and live fulfilling lives.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, we encourage you to reach out to our team today. Connect with us at 781.412.1488 or reach out online to learn more.